Thursday, November 5, 2015

guest post: primer for beginner singles

As soon as I read this outline written by a good friend, I became a beggar. And you're in luck! They've let me share it with you here. Obviously, every point could be fleshed out more, but these points 'pack a punch' just as they are. May they challenge and encourage you. 

........................................

Root out this godless thinking: 

Why am I single?

  • There is something wrong with me 
  • Completely by chance 
  • There is still some ACTION I have not accomplished yet 

What should I do in response to my singleness?


  • Think constantly about how to attract a spouse
  • Do things to attract the attention of potential spouses
  • Date unsaved/ungodly singles

How should I respond to the losses of the single life?

  • Immediately blame all my problems on singleness 
  • Smother my BFF and expect them to meet every emotional need! 
  • Cultivate non-edifying entertainments and hobbies to fill the void 
  • Compare my life with others 

Determine to plant and water this biblical thinking: 

Why am I single? 

  • Because God is good to me. Psalm 119:68 Thou [art] good, and doest good; teach me thy statutes. 

  • Because God has wisely designed my life.  Daniel 4:35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou? 

  • Because there is a specific purpose God is accomplishing in my life right now.  Psalm 138:8 The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, [endureth] for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands. 

  • Because there is a need for me in The Body.  I Corinthians 12 

What should I do in response to my singleness?

  • Cultivate a magnificent view of God.  Psalm 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? 

  • Choose everyday to believe God when He reveals Himself as good.  Psalm 119:128 Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way. 

  • Refuse to compare your circumstances with others’.  Psalm 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works. 

  • Know when to prescribe MORE Bible.  Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

How should I respond to the losses of my single life?

  • Learn to quiet yourself.  Psalm 131:2 Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child. 

  • Ask God to put your losses into perspective.  Genesis 41:51 And Joseph called the name of the firstborn Manasseh: For God hath made me forget all my toil, and all my father's house. 

  • Set ETERNITY as the screen saver of your mind (keep in mind “this is not ALL we get”).  Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ...

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment