Thursday, January 14, 2016

I am a runner (stop laughing)

Okay, so I'm not technically a runner. 
Mostly I prefer to burn calories by posing for the camera

But I still love the pounding of my feet on pavement, constant change in scenery, and the 'conquering mortal flesh' feeling as I gasp for breath and strain every muscle to crest the next gentle rise in my neighborhood. And really as long as I avoid eye contact with those sickly tanned, completely shredded, I-just-came-from-7-hours-of-strength-training-at-the-gym-and-now-I'm-just-doing-five-miles-for-kicks-and-giggles athletes that pass me as I flab-jiggle and spasm my way down the street, I feel pretty good when I'm out there beasting my .25. 

But I lack endurance. Inevitably I start out sprinting gleefully out of control and end up dragging my feet while bent almost entirely in half (apologies to the neighbors). A vicious cycle of fast-forward and slow-mo. This is not really a good way to run.

This is also not a good way to do life. That's why the writer of Hebrews says 'run with endurance the race that is set before you.' Endurance requires an understanding and measuring out of our resources in what God has called us to do. So, because this is THEE New Year with all the exercise-til-you-pass-out-and-eat-only-bark-and-dirt-and-run-to-work-and-back crazies yelling at us, I've taken a moment to pull apart this phrase in Hebrews 12. Whether I make my fitness goals this year or not, this is how I want to run life.
.......................................................................

Run. No one wakes up to find themselves outside running. (Although, I can't say that I've never wished for that) Running is intentional. It's not involuntary. It takes preparation, thought, training, and (if you're going to get good at it) skill. 

This just in: take pics of your feet not face after exercise
In the Christian life, no one proves the good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God by happenstance. There's an intentional pressing forward on the path God has laid. Successful believers (like runners) realize that the Christian life is going to take preparation, thought, training, and skill. And although some around us may be casually strolling through this life, we are called to run

The Race. A race is organized. Some are in it and others are not. Only those who've received the 'calling of God in Christ Jesus' are in the Christian race. Make sure you qualify. 

'Race' also implies that others are running. Yay! NOTHING has more positive impact on my running than when I'm alongside someone else. Never posted a best while running alone. So in this Christian race? Find another runner. One who is more experienced and skillful than you. I've got a few of those right now, and their value cannot be overestimated.

Rumor is there's prizes at races (not that I would know, heheheh). Paul describes a prize at the end of the Christian race. A crown is also mentioned. And a "well done." I want those. So I'm not going to be a casual observer, or a halfhearted participant in this Christian life. I'm not going to run uncertainly or without aim. I want to so run that I may obtain the prize.

The one that is before you. Many run in the Christian race, but each of us has an individual course. This is a good thing. When God's will for me lies through a dark valley, there are believers around me who's course is on level ground and they're able to share comfort and truth. And perhaps when their path stretches in a smooth, straight line before them, I'm cresting a mountain of spiritual growth and able to encourage and motivate them. 

The day Beth learned there's food after most races was a very. good. day.
But be careful not to compare courses. I've a friend whose life is like a thrilling novel. Their course is rugged. There's switchbacks, jagged cliffs, and stunning vistas. In comparison, my path is quite plain. And sometimes I kinda want their course. But God lays my course. He's the author and finisher of it. He knows what topography I need to run in order to build Christ-likeness. And He know my frame. I'm called to run the race set before me. 

With endurance. Running, in a race, with an individual course...is going to take endurance. Endurance requires understanding and measuring out of our resources in what God has called us to do. This is what ties everything together. 

So what is my/your course, and what does it require? This year, I want to take intentional stock of my resources. I want to learn to wisely ration my strength, time, intellect, and skill. Want to run every mile strong and consistent. A steady pace. Run to win. Not aimlessly. A faithful steward to the very end. Because I want to say what Paul has said. 


I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing. (2 Tim. 4) 

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment