Thursday, June 9, 2016

a lesson from my first ball

Okaaaaaaay, let me explain. 

I have a good friend who enjoys Civil War era reenacting, and this past weekend they invited me to a Summer Soiree. (also I think every event should be called a soiree. Say it out loud a few times and you'll agree.) Think swishing hoop skirts, fluttering fans, and Pride and Prejudice style dancing. You know, the kind full of graceful steps, white gloves, tiaras, and the least amount of physical contact there could possibly be. (thank you, Victorian manners) 

Have I put your minds slightly at ease? 
We still friends?
I hope?

Good. Then let me say... 

You guysUnder the towering ceiling of the glowing historic hall...every window draped with bunting and table dripping with flowers...I found myself completely swept up in a new (very old) world. For a sensory gal like me, this fell somewhere between can't-stop-to-even-breathe invigorating, and curl-up-in-a-fetal-position overwhelming. Mostly I stayed in the background trying to keep my mouth from gaping and my eyes from bulging as I soaked in every detail. 

Lovely mental image, eh? But there were moments when I found myself sashaying down the center of a swirling reel or side-stepping to a bit of flowing waltz. And I learned something right quick, y'all:

It's hard to follow if you don't know the steps.

Now, I like to follow in life. And I've no desire to take charge of a perfect half-turn, or switchback thingy move in time with the lilting cadence of period music. (Don't want to lose my lifetime membership to the can-barely-clap-hands-in-rhythm club, right? right.) 

I wanted to be led. But (through no one's fault but mine) as I tried to 'relax and just follow' it looked more like awkwardly swinging my arms and shuffling my feet to some disturbingly free-form, inner cadence of my own. If I'd just known the steps. That when the person beside me places their foot here, I place mine there. If I could just comprehend the big pattern. Learn the movements I was to parallel. 

And when I knew the steps? To follow was thrilling. Natural. Beautiful to perform and beautiful to those watching. I could relax into being led.
............................................

As believers, it's hard to follow if we don't know the steps. 

We're swept up in opportunities, split-second decisions, conflict, change...wondering God, how do I follow You in this? If I just knew the steps. That as you place your hand on that part of my life, I am to respond like this. If I only knew the pattern of your movements. the big picture of what I'm to parallel. And I can end up doing my own awkward thing. My actions driven by a disturbing inner cadence of selfish desire and my own understanding. 

Enter God's Word. It illumines the steps of life (Ps. 119:105) guides our actions (Jn 17:17), defines what is right and wrong (Ps. 119:9,11), and provides light and understanding (Ps. 119:130). A hundred more references could be added here. It's by this Word I learn the step of trusting when I don't understand. Learn that only by pride comes conflict. That Christ is the pattern I'm to parallel in temptation, trial, prayer, and affliction. I find principles that outline fool-proof steps in opportunities and split-second decisions. And I see the big picture: He's transforming me into the image of His dear Son. 

My Bible contains each step necessary for my life and godliness. 
I have only to read and apply. 
..............................................

As the evening progressed, I observed certain nuances to the most experienced reenacters: a subtle flourish in movement and posture. These weren't necessary; they just completed the picture and perfected the form. But if I'd attempted mastery of how I hold my thumb to the neglect of the big steps? Well, that's another mental image for you. But in life, I find it's often the nuances of God's will that I strain for, to the neglect of His revealed will. The name of the man I will marry. The exact career move, the specific location. And that's gonna throw me and those around me off-kilter. 

In this spinning dance of life, there's One leading me to will and do His good pleasure. Following Him? A thrilling, natural response to that work. Something beautiful to perform and beautiful for those watching. And as I trust Him to mature me into the complete, and perfect form of His individual will, I may well relax into being led.

After all, I know where to find the steps and the pattern.

Swishing hoop skirt or not. 

Beth 

5 comments:

  1. Awesome thoughts, Beth! And just a teasing reminder...just as Christians have the Bible to learn the steps, we have a dance practice before the ball. You should come to it for the Olde South Ball. :grin: But hey, I thought you looked great dancing already! Can't wait to do it again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a DANCE PRACTICE???? Good to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops...yeah...there's a practice. I probably should have mentioned that! :)

      Delete
  3. I love this article...I do re=enactments, but have never been to a "soiree". I am so jealous...Glad you had fun,...do it again.

    ReplyDelete