Thursday, December 14, 2017

it is enough: a single's response to the big question

Sometimes people ask, you know. Although it’s not often a spoken thing. They ask with a fleeting glance I wasn’t meant to see. A curious gaze at weddings, baby showers, or other crowded events. I see it in their eyes when I talk about my week or they rave about theirs. It’s the big question.


I know they ask because they love me. They want what is best for me, and their only reference point is what has been the best for them. But I wish sometimes that they would put words to this question because I know the answer, and I do not doubt it.

Let me tell you how I know.

When I am aware of a love I have not experienced. Like when I watch the unreserved tenderness and delight of a newly married couple. When my insides turn soft and quivering as I hold someone’s tiny infant. When I would reach for someone but they are not there. When I am the only single in the room. You may have wondered about this. In these moments and more, His love is enough. Don’t ask how this can be, but the steadfast loving kindness of God endures. And it is enough.

When I do hard things as one. Like when I file through funeral lines of loved ones. When I’ve laid on the exam table fearing the lump is cancer. When I’ve left a job without another one in sight. When I do long battle with the doubts and fears that come with singleness and it’s not yet 9am. You may have wanted to ask. His grace is enough. I can’t explain how His strength is sufficient for me. But it is enough.

When I face life alone. Like the thousand details of every day.  When I walk up to a dark house after work. When I lay alone at night. When it’s Valentine’s Day, Christmas, Mother’s Day, and just me. When I must do new and uncertain without a companion. You might be curious. Don’t ask me how, but His presence is enough. He has never left nor forsaken me. And it is enough.

So friends, ask. Ask so you can raise your heads heavenward and praise Him loud together with me. The God who is your all-I-need is mine too. There is a rich, throbbing glory in this truth. A platform so large and strong that all manner of men and women and children may safely stand together lifting one mighty Christ is sufficient! Hallelujah.

He is enough.

Beth 

No comments:

Post a Comment