Friday, December 19, 2014

Who is He?


Curious crowds will press in upon the manger this week.

They'll pack candle-lit services, Christmas pageants, midnight mass...
All clamoring for a closer look. All wondering--

Who is He? 

Then in a blink, they will drift away. Scatter. Finding more meaning in twinkling lights and stocking-thick mantels than this infant scene. 


Come--before they descend upon us. 

Come and bend close with me. Bow low and peer into this mean cradle.
And listen to me whisper: 

Who is He? I know.

He is my 'Let not your heart be troubled, believe in Me.'

My 'I will not leave you comfortless.'


My 'Look unto me and be saved.'

My 'Peace, be still.'

My 'Daughter, your faith has made you whole.'

He is my 'Do you love me more than these?'

My 'Your Heavenly Father knows you have need of all these things.'

My 'Will you also go away?'

My 'Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.'

He is my 'Thrust your hand in my side and be not faithless, but believing.'

My 'I go to prepare a place for you.'


My 'Be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.'

And the list stretches long. My voice grows hoarse.
My heart swells and presses hard against its cage. Overwhelmed by this. 
This fullness of grace and truth. This God made flesh and dwelling among us. 
This beholding the glory of the Only Begotten.

Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift.

He's mine.


Beth

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful way to begin my early day, Beth. A refreshment. I will read it often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these beautiful meditations!

    ReplyDelete