Thursday, April 21, 2016

the importance of being Nikki

Can I say how I love you for loving the "Grandma post" a couple weeks ago? (miss it? find it *here*) And since I'm obviously far down memory lane already, there's someone else whose impact must be shared.

But first, let me introduce you to preteen Beth. She's oblivious to most of life in general. And she will take most of that glorious oblivion straight through her teen years. Think tangle-haired tomboy, acne, and clown-like facial expressions. (maybe you can just visualize this so my pride can remain slightly intact?) Most importantly, I was completely unencumbered with how I may be perceived by others.

pre-acne Beth working on what Nikki called 'devos' 

God's mercy is indeed everlasting. 

And through all this, there was Nikki. Nikki was 8ish years older than me. She lived on farmland a flat 25 minutes from our town. I adored her. As a toddler, I spent hours on her lap at church. Sometimes she'd flip me over and rub my stringy blond hair on the carpet, making it stick straight out like an Egyptian goddess. This was beyond cool. And a credit to the static properties of commercial carpeting. 

As I grew older, Nikki caught on to my love of horses and would have me out to their farm to ride. She encouraged my love of watercolor painting by giving me a (now well-worn) technique book. When she left for Christian college, I received handwritten notes. When she was home on break, we'd go out for pizza or ride horseback together. All this, for an awkward, fast-talking, acne-encrusted, pastor's kid. Glamour was not her motive, folks. 

Discipleship was. Nikki asked about my life and listened. Then with sparkling eyes and awesome humor, she'd challenge me to think Biblically. She was the only one outside the authorities in my life that asked about my walk with God. And I soaked it up. She inspired me to make Bible reading personal. To pray over little things that loomed so large in my adolescent mind. And I've lost count of the spiritual decisions I made in my teens that were followed close by "I can't wait to tell Nikki." 

Nikki was not perfect. I was aware of that. And I couldn't follow her path in everything as we grew older. But the impact. I can trace crucial threads of my current life to that friendship. 

Nikki (bottom left) hanging with our youth group at camp
So....what? 
................................

Parents? Find Nikkis.
(hint: singles make great Nikkis)

Like this: Hey! This is my child and how I'd love to see them grow (in salvation or sanctification), would you be a regular part of that? A steady, habitual voice? We would love for you to partner with us.

1) Approach with a plan. A young mom once asked me for this with her children. She came with a plan and tailored it to work for me. It made for an easy "yes." 

2) Avoid church times. Church can be hectic for all. Plus, your child is already hearing many other voices on those days, and wants to run around with (ahem) fellowship with friends. 

3) Be persistent. We all be in da' busy boat, y'all. But some things are worth pursuing.

4) Keep babysitting separate. Babysitting is great, but if there's more than one child, it's mostly spent keeping your children out of imminent danger like running water or the clutches of an angry sibling. Not the most effective for one-on-one discussion.

Singles? Be a Nikki

Like this: Hey! I really enjoy watching/talking to/teaching little______. And they seem to really like me already. Have they accepted Christ yet? What are you 'working on' with them? How can I partner with you in that? What would be most helpful?

1) No perfection required. My friend's flaws made her real to me. Something I was eager to find (and good at sniffing out) as I grew up. 
Riding at Nikki's farm. That hair though!

2) Realize the impact you can have by simply paying attention and listening.

3) Use your unique personality to speak about Christ and a walk with Him. Don't assume others are doing that. 

4) No need to be profound. The gist of Nikki's words? "Hey, want to follow me like I am trying to follow Christ? He's wonderful." simple and powerful. 

5) Leverage interests and hobbies. Scrapbooking, horses, painting, sports, ice cream eating (awww yeah)...all these and more can be a platform for Gospel impact. 
.................................

There's no age limit/life season constraints on Biblical discipleship. Older men teach younger men. Older women teach younger women. Pretty much all-inclusive, right? Also, I've got to say that I'm not so good at this Nikki thing. Too focused on tackling goals/vaulting to the next thing etc. that I easily forget people. But that's not an excuse. By God's grace, we can practice godliness. We can pray for opportunity. And we can build our "Nikki" muscles. 
That's what I want this summer.

Join me?

Beth  


No comments:

Post a Comment