Thursday, April 7, 2016

the unexpected impact of a life

Come on in and welcome! Here, have a seat next to me. I've just been looking through some old photographs, and there's two women I'd like you to meet. 

......................................................

Both of them so very beautiful


One with the quickest wit. 
One with the warmest hug. 

Both generous. 
Both gracious. 
Both industrious. 

One with a belly laugh to beat all laughs. 
One with a pursed-lip smirk you've probably seen on me. 

Strong women. 
Intelligent women. 
Women not to be crossed. 



Falling in love through wartime. 
Raising families during peacetime. 

Devoted to their spouses.

Good at life. 

Teaching me (without realizing it) the beauty of simple things like fresh coffee table arrangements and steaming pans of casserole on cold winter nights. 

One an avid reader. 
One a Wheel of Fortune whiz. 




One whose love of art continues to influence my own. 
One whose love of lawn care explains my own sun burnt arms.

Both supporting my life path even when it wandered far from what they may have thought was safe or best. Certainly when it looked far different from their own at my age. 


One leaving this world not long ago.
One leaving this world very soon... 
Both leaving a beautiful legacy. 



These are my Grandmas. 

And I owe more than my parents to these women. I owe much of who I am today. Down to my love of classical music and dim lighting in the evenings. Down to my love of black and white films with a bowl of ice cream and a warm blanket. A love of words. A love of family...
......................................................

All this. But you know, neither of my Grandmas sat me down and lectured on being loyal and generous and how to keep a comfortable home and how to love. Most likely, they had no idea I was listening and watching and absorbing their lives from across the couch, room, state, world...but I was.


And it's made me think this week of who may be watching my own life. Learning what I'm (unintentionally) teaching through every day activities, conversations, and choices. Because I think those around us are paying much closer attention than we realize. And that makes for a platform of possible influence far greater than I can imagine. The unexpected impact of one life. 

Beth

2 comments: