Thursday, May 21, 2015

the Food Network and Faith

I am a Food Network junkie. 

Something about that mix of competition, personalities, and food keeps me glued to the screen during shows like Chopped and Next Food Network Star. (Or at least kept me glued while I had free cable.)

My brother in law, Brian, shares this fascination. And while I watch with shallow brain waves and watering mouth, he takes it to the next level. This level includes keen observations about human nature like this one:

"Beth, almost always when there's a contestant, their mantra is the same...



'I must win this for (insert specific people group.)
MUST succeed so they will be inspired to do the same.
MUST win for all those looking up to me for their worth...' "

As if the rise and fall of humanity rested on their flour- dusted shoulders.

There is some truth to that, though. We all watch athletes, musicians, actors, politicians...so closely that they can shape what we wear, say, buy, love, hate, think...But, is it ever right for a Christian to have their lives so affected by others?

As I thought on this (perhaps on commercial break) Hebrews 12 came to mind:

Seeing we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, Fixing our eyes on Jesus...so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Aha! Those who have gone before are supposed to affect my own faith in some very concrete ways. So what happens as I see and consider their example?

I'm motivated to lay aside sins and weights.

Every. one. Not all weights are evil, but they slow me down on the path of righteousness. Tangle up my thoughts and resources. And some are sin. But they all encumber as this version puts it. And they aren't there by accident. Truth is, they're in my life because I love them.

But when I consider Hebrews 11, the value of those sins and weights shrinks minuscule. The rich rewards for those who by faith obeyed, and more importantly, the sheer brightness of God's favorable disposition towards them, motivates me to cast off all that hinders me from basking in that light myself.

I'm motivated to run my own race with endurance.

Against phenomenal odds, outrageous predicaments. Against the very laws of nature and common logic the men and women of Hebrews 11 endured. Pressed on in obedience. Pressed through. As if they were confident of something they couldn't even see. And each endured on their God-ordained race: not one character whose life looks like the other. These imperfect, individual people endured in the running.

If that's true, then by faith so can I.

I'm motivated to focus.  

Weariness. Losing heart. We've all been there. Perhaps we are there. The life of faith is not akin to skipping slow motion through a sun-drenched, flower-filled field of luxury after all. Oh, perhaps we could handle an occasional casting off of weights, or enduring for a sprint of time, but the keeping on of these things? Not likely.

The author of Hebrews predicted this. So he saved the strongest example for last: the One at work behind each witness in the preceding chapter. He points to Christ. One who endured the full spectrum of this world's hostilities and encumbering temptations successfully. In the casting off, in the enduring, focus your eyes on this.

Fix your eyes on Christ.

.....................................................................

And on and on it goes. One mighty audience growing larger every day. Like the seats of a vast stadium filling up higher and higher. Spiraling out. Spiraling Heavenward. Row upon row of those who have gone before and those who have followed-- affected by their faith.


So don't stop considering those who have gone before. Let their lives affect your own faith. Motivating you to cast off, endure, and focus on Christ. For just like those frenzied, anxious contenders on Chopped have no idea that my brother-in-law and I are staring slack-jawed at their performance...

You never know who is watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment