Thursday, January 29, 2015

Fear Not

FEAR. 

This month I've wrestled with that ugly monster more than I care to admit. So, before I take up the 'single' subject again, I'd like to share with you the Scripture and lessons I'm learning through this battle.

Note: sometimes spiritual lessons won't stop banging around inside me until I squeeze them into rhyme and meter. Thus the poem at the end.

May it encourage and challenge you as you fight your own fears! 

Beth

.......................................

Lesson 1: I don't have to fear the personal cost of surrender. 

Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abides alone: but if it die, it brings forth much fruit. He that loves his life shall lose it; and he that hates his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. Jn 12

Lesson 2: I don't have to fear leaving those I love if it is in God's service.


Jesus answered...There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's, But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life. Mk 10

Lesson 3: I don't have to fear the increasing evil of this world. (Amen?)

And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. Rev. 21

Lesson 4: I don't have to fear death. Whether it's my own or that of a loved one. 


Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Ps. 23

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Death is swallowed up in victory. 1 Cor. 15


......................................................................

Do not fear the laying down
of treasured self and earthy crown.
Surrender grows precious fruit,
And in the loss, a vict'ry found.

Do not fear the farewell made
of dearest home for Gospel's sake.
Reward sits on heaven's shore,
And hundred- fold in life repaid.

Do not fear the dimming light
of truth and good in earth's long fight.
Justice weeps but will not fail,
and in God's Sun, each wrong made right.

Do not fear the coming pause
of beating heart and human loves.
Death inflicts a harmless sting,
And through this vale, all glory dawns.

1 comment:

  1. So, so effective with the Scripture already in my mind.

    ReplyDelete